What Is Rock Salt?
Rock salt is a type of salt known as halite but industrially it is known as rock salt. The word halite is an ancient Greek word that means ‘salt’. It is the mineral form of salt. The mineral is mostly white or colorless but, sometimes due to the presence of some other minerals like (iron, calcium, manganese, magnesium, potassium, and sulfate) rock salt is also found in different colors such as light blue, dark blue, purple, pink, red, orange, yellow or gray. The type or intensity of the color is highly dependent on how much the mineral is present and what mineral it is.
Where Do We Get Rock Salt From?
Rock salt as the name suggests is found in the sedimentary rocks around the world. The salt in the rocks may be accumulated due to the evaporation of seawater or a salty lake. It is carefully mined from subsurface salt deposits created by the evaporation of water 200 to 250 million years ago. In Pakistan, it is found at the Khewra salt mines, which are the world’s second-biggest salt mines. This gives our rock salt a competitive advantage in the international market. The Khewra salt mines were discovered during Alexander the great’s visit to India when his horses were found licking the stones. This is how the Khewra salt mines were discovered by ailing horses who also recovered from this salt.
How Rock Salt Is Mined?
There are tunnels at the Khewra salt mines stretched across 25 miles, trains are used to take tourists and laborers deep inside mountains. There are of total 17 levels at the mine where the average temperature is 64 degrees Fahrenheit. The miners at first drill with the hand auger, then packing is done through gun powder. Then safety fuse is used for ignition, after then laborers leave the place for at least half-hour and then they go back and start loading the salt. Each year 400,000 tons of rock salt is mined from the Khewra salt mines.
Rock Salt Of Pakistan Or Himalayan Salt:
The world-famous Himalayan salt or the rock salt is Pakistan’s rock salt mined at the Khewra salt mines. It is available in pink, reddish, and beef red colors, these colors are due to the presence of iron oxide in it.
What Is The Difference Between Rock Salt And Table Salt?
The main difference is of source table salt is obtained by evaporating seawater, while rock salt is mined at the Khewra salt mines in Pakistan. Table salt is white in color while rock salt is pink in color. Furthermore, the table salt we eat is refined and bleached because of the water pollutants it may contain, while rock salt is untreated that’s why it retains different mineral traces like (magnesium, iron, zinc, calcium, and potassium) and therefore it is considered healthy and tastier to add in recipes. And lastly, the crystals of rock salt are large in size as compared to the table salt.
Benefits Of Rock Salt:
- The most significant reason is that it is free from pollutants and untreated that makes it a completely natural mineral to eat and use.
- It is used in foods over table salt because it gives a crunchier taste to dishes because of the large crystals.
- Rock salt is extensively used in cold areas where a mixture of rock salt and water is used to melt the thick layer of snow on the roads for easy cleaning.
- A mixture of rock salt and water is also the best weed killer but should be used in small amounts.
- Himalayan salt lamps, candle holders, and different decoration pieces are used as air purifier through the negative ions they release in the air that cleans the air.
- Many kitchen wares made of rock salt like mortar and pestle, bowls, are used.
- It is used to treat cold, cough, respiratory tract problems, digestion problems, and even eyesight problems.
- Because it contains a range of mineral traces, a rock salt solution with water is used to treat electrolyte imbalance and muscle cramps in our body.
- Gargling or using rock salt is also effective against various oral cavity infections and problems.
- It is also healthy for our skin as it reduces dryness, strengthens skin tissues, and cleanses our skin.
- It is also used as animal lickers to increase their immunity, reduce their stress, aids digestion, and even increase milk production in cows.
- It is also being used skincare industry as bath salt, scrubs, spa, shampoo, and other skincare products.
Where To Buy Rock Salt?
Although rock salt in different grain sizes, quantities, packaging, and type is available in the market now. But you can buy the most premium quality of rock salt, that retains its natural benefits from Hubsalt. You can also buy other rock salt products like lamps, candle holders, decoration pieces, and kitchen wares. You can also book online a salt therapy room to release your stress or anxiety or depression. Furthermore, the edible rock salt is also available in your near stores or marts.
Bulk Buy Rock Salt:
We at Hub salt are exporting premium quality salt all around the world since 1985. Hub salt is the leading salt exporter of Pakistan and choosing it for your bulk purchase would be the best decision.
Harmful Effects Of Rock Salt:
In the end, it should be kept in mind that anything excessive is harmful and so is in this case. Besides such health benefits of rock salt, you are advised not to take excessive rock salt as it will increase your sodium intake that may cause high blood pressure and heart diseases. It should not be used too much to clear snow or weeds. If utilized in high quantities, salt will harm plants and make the ground unsuitable for future plant development. The salt permeates through the soil and is absorbed by the roots, causing the plant to dry up.